Wednesday, February 20, 2008

you're never too old to do goofy stuff.

I was going through my old phone and found a couple of images I hadn't seen in a long time.

Here's one of the old man being devious. He was always up to something. Armed with his sweatshirt which read "You're never too old to do goofy stuff" dad would wander down the hall and do his witch cackle and threaten Alicia with swirlies, threaten her boyfriend with buckshot from his shotgun, tell David he was gonna put him on salt peter and tell Andy openly that he was not OK with homo's being in his living room. Then as mysteriously as he'd appeared he hobble away again only to return once he'd thought of another good one or two liner.


Here's dad in the hospital getting "the good stuff." He was so happy to be drinking again, and we even smuggled the man the occasional coke. I am so grateful for the months I had to say goodbye to him each night as I came home from work. I was amazed at the cards and letters, gifts, pictures, books, music and treats that people would leave for him. One of my favorites was when mom was visiting him in the hospital and he wanted to go home so badly (like always) and when he finally realized that he wasn't going to be able to go home he scooched his buns clear to the side of the hospital bed and asked my mom "Tanner, you comin to bed?" We are so lucky we had that time to let go and to say our last goodbyes.

No comments: