Sunday, August 5, 2007

Finder of Great Things


As long as I can remember my dad has been unable to pass up "freeway finds". A freeway find is usually something that has fallen off of someone's moving truck, been thrown out of someones window or otherwise left for dead on the side of the road. One day many years ago my dad had a dream that there was a bag in the middle of the road. In the dream he passed up the bag and then the next car behind him stopped only to find that the bag was full of money. From that time on my dad NEVER passed up a freeway treasure. I remember numerous embarassments during my early years when my dad would suddenly pull over to the side of the road and jump out of the car to retrieve a "great find". I can't tell you how many broken lawn chairs, life jackets, barbeques and once even a fax machine (which we do actually use...to his credit) my dad has rescued from abandonment. Many called him a "highway whore" but he always claimed that he was "a finder of great things". One man's trash...

No comments: